search mg

English Español

How do you know if your home needs more insulation?

Does your house need more insallation?It’s easy to determine where your home may need insulation on a cold, Upper Cumberland night. Walk through your home and pay close attention to the various comfort levels. For instance - is it cooler in the laundry/mud room where the back door is located - as compared to a kitchen or bedroom in the middle of the house? A good rule of thumb is that all heated areas should be separated from un-heated areas with plenty of insulation. Regardless of your home's layout, you can use this rule to determine where insulation should be installed.

A corner room with two walls facing the outdoors might be colder than one that is sandwiched between a bath and another bedroom down the hall. Each area will have its own priority in terms of insulation ease and cost-effectiveness and should be evaluated on the basis of both.

To know if your home currently has enough insulation, contact an area contractor to find out the recommended insulation levels for various parts of a home here in the Upper Cumberland. They will be able to tell you if your home meets the recommended R-Values for ceilings, walls and floors.

In order of cost-effectiveness for an existing home, it generally pays to insulate in this order:

  • Attic or roof
  • Foundation or floor,
  • Windows
  • Walls.

If you’re still unsure of where to begin, you may want to have an energy audit.

Copyright © 2022 Upper Cumberland Electric Membership Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Website designed by Bear Web Design


The Upper Cumberland Electric Membership Corporation operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, or national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. To request additional information on UCEMC’s Title VI nondiscrimination requirements, or if any person believes they have been aggrieved by an unlawful discriminatory practice under Title VI or other applicable law and would like to file a complaint, contact Kathy Sherfield at 800-261-2940, ext. 122, or email

Persons who do not speak or read English well may request language assistance, oral interpretation and/or written translation of this notice, at no cost. Contact Kathy Sherfield at 800-261-2940, ext. 122, or email